Spring is the season for gardening, but this year, it’s also election time.
What is arguably the biggest election in Yolo County is the race for District 5 Supervisor between incumbent Duane Chamberlain and Woodland Mayor Art Pimentel. I happen to live in the 5th District and received a reminder Tuesday about what season it is.
It was from Elias and Margarita Pimentel, Art’s parents. They sent a form letter addressed to “friends and neighbors.” Inside the envelope was also a packet of beefsteak tomato seeds with the logo “Art Pimentel for Supervisor” on the front.
Now, I’ll probably give my roommate the tomato seeds but I was also interested in the letter.
“We both work in local farming, even today,” Elias and Margarita write. “So we know that Art will always fight hard to preserve our community’s farmland.
“We hope that you will accept these tomato seeds as a small gift from us. They are a symbol of our family’s agricultural roots. We hope it reminds you of Art’s roots … roots we know he will never forget.”
Pimentel’s father has worked for George Aoki Farms at the western end of Woodland for 33 years while his mother has worked for tomato-processing plant Pacific Coast Producers for 25 years. Processing tomatoes are Yolo County’s leading crop.
The tomato seeds also include a picture of Pimentel with campaign logo, “from here, for here.”
As a result of redistricting, the 5th District includes 70 percent of Woodland residents while rural and agricultural areas of the county make up the rest of the district. Chamberlain, who works as a hay farmer, has been seen as an advocate for farmers.
- 20th century photography Almond festival American flag Art Pimentel Bicycle bicyclist budget business Cactus Corner Capay Valley child photographer CHP City Council Cops Couponing Craig Marquez Davis diversity downtown Duane Chamberlain election ESPN Finance fire food high end digital cameras Journalism Lady Savings League of Women Voters Ludy's mamiya 645afd Man vs. Food Mariko Yamada Matthew Kimel Matt Rexroad Mojo's Mojo's Lounge New England Patriots New York Giants parking PBS pepper spray Philadelphia photography photo manipulation Pioneer High School Pioneer High School baseball Pioneer Patriots police Prop. 8 Russell Blvd. Sacramento Bee Sacramento Kings Skip Davies sniper training stabbing Super Bowl Television The Burger Saloon TheKrazyCouponLady.com Tom Stallard traffic UC Davis vacation Vanessa Deltoro West Sacramento Police West Sacramento Shooting WJUSD Woodland Woodland school district Woodland Wolves Yolo County Yolo county supervisors Yolo supervisors Yolotales Express
- Police: HIT & RUN TRAFFIC COLLISION WITH INJURIES
- Juvenile suspect arrested after stabbing in Woodland
- Missing mentally ill teen may have been spotted in Woodland
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges grants Woodland Poly initial accreditation
- Nominations for “Woodlander of the Month” Requested
- Here's a newly rewritten story with the help of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, which covered the hostage standoff. fb.me/12NqjvnZq 15 hours ago
- WINTERS HOMICIDE SUSPECT CAPTURED Here is the raw press release from the Winters PD: December 10, 2013 – Tuesday... fb.me/6vEIA2mQZ 18 hours ago
- Forcella: Talking to daughters differently can help prevent rape fb.me/1amoHA7ej 2 days ago
- At least some kids are being taught how to use firearms, that's more than most of their parents — dailydemocrat.com/ci_24687604/fi… 14 hours ago
- RT @mayorcabaldon: OMG wish I was a reality show producer...our Vice Mayor is trying out for @MountainLionsFB professional football team ... 1 year ago
- Pioneer boys hoops lose 67-58 to Mesa Verde, which beat WHS in OT last wk. @TorresAND1 leads Pats w/19pts, Oscar Salazar 14 & @gerrrry_21 10 7 minutes ago