Spring is the season for gardening, but this year, it’s also election time.
What is arguably the biggest election in Yolo County is the race for District 5 Supervisor between incumbent Duane Chamberlain and Woodland Mayor Art Pimentel. I happen to live in the 5th District and received a reminder Tuesday about what season it is.
It was from Elias and Margarita Pimentel, Art’s parents. They sent a form letter addressed to “friends and neighbors.” Inside the envelope was also a packet of beefsteak tomato seeds with the logo “Art Pimentel for Supervisor” on the front.
Now, I’ll probably give my roommate the tomato seeds but I was also interested in the letter.
“We both work in local farming, even today,” Elias and Margarita write. “So we know that Art will always fight hard to preserve our community’s farmland.
“We hope that you will accept these tomato seeds as a small gift from us. They are a symbol of our family’s agricultural roots. We hope it reminds you of Art’s roots … roots we know he will never forget.”
Pimentel’s father has worked for George Aoki Farms at the western end of Woodland for 33 years while his mother has worked for tomato-processing plant Pacific Coast Producers for 25 years. Processing tomatoes are Yolo County’s leading crop.
The tomato seeds also include a picture of Pimentel with campaign logo, “from here, for here.”
As a result of redistricting, the 5th District includes 70 percent of Woodland residents while rural and agricultural areas of the county make up the rest of the district. Chamberlain, who works as a hay farmer, has been seen as an advocate for farmers.
TagsAlmond festival Art Pimentel budget business Capay Valley CHP City Council Couponing Craig Marquez Davis downtown Duane Chamberlain election ESPN fire food Journalism League of Women Voters Man vs. Food Mariko Yamada Matthew Kimel Matt Rexroad Mojo's Mojo's Lounge parking pepper spray Pioneer High School Pioneer High School baseball Pioneer Patriots police Sacramento Kings Skip Davies Television The Burger Saloon Tom Stallard traffic UC Davis Vanessa Deltoro WJUSD Woodland Woodland school district Woodland Wolves Yolo County Yolo county supervisors Yolo supervisors
- Police: HIT & RUN TRAFFIC COLLISION WITH INJURIES
- Juvenile suspect arrested after stabbing in Woodland
- Missing mentally ill teen may have been spotted in Woodland
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges grants Woodland Poly initial accreditation
- Nominations for “Woodlander of the Month” Requested
- Video of Guide Dogs trio escaping backwards-driving car in San Rafael goes viral fb.me/2e2TUIi7L 3 hours ago
- Woodland's Yolo County Fair building dedicated to the late Ron Maraviov fb.me/Q5dCrxgR 10 hours ago
- An investigation began shortly after a garage fire was put out in Woodland Monday night around 7:15. The fire was... fb.me/2ovvtGr8U 19 hours ago
- With those Davis candidates for Assembly announcing in Davis, it looks like they've forgotten Wdld. Well, Wdld. won't forget them. 1 day ago
- RT @mayorcabaldon: OMG wish I was a reality show producer...our Vice Mayor is trying out for @MountainLionsFB professional football team ... 10 months ago
- Second out on a fly ball to left field and third in a foul pop-up after an infield single. Post 77 beats Oroville 7-3 to move to 8-1 on year 1 week ago